Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 ford 6.0 will not start with key, but will at solenoid.

Customer Question
2006 ford 6.0 will...

2006 ford 6.0 will not start with key, but will at solenoid

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They look good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Ford?

F250 super duty

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F-250 Super Duty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked a few fuses, it acts like the security system is activated

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No at this time

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
12/31/2017
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 6 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you jumper the starter solenoid does it start and run? or just turn the starter?

Starts and runs
I parked it last night, and then I was searching for the sticker under the dash on the firewall to locate the original door code. I never found the sticker and the only other thing I did was try multiple five number combinations hoping to get lucky on the code

ok, if it starts and runs, then its not the security system, if it were, there would be an anti theft light flashng on the dash, the security system imobilizes the starter and the fuel, is this an auto trans or a manual?

Auto

Have you tried putting the transmission in neutral and seeing if it starts?

I did try that, to bypass the neutral safety switch and still nothing

ok, do you have a test light or a voltmeter? I can help you diagnose this?

I do not, but I can go buy one

a cheap 12 volt test light will work fine,Tim

I have a multi meter

ok, do you know where the starter relay is?

I do not

it is in the fuse box under the drivers dash, can you locate it?

I’m assuming it’s one of the square blocky looking fuses ?

yes, the cover for the fuse box should identify which one is the starter relay

It does not give me the specific one but yes I found it

ok, remove the relay, on the bottom of the relay, each pin should have a number stamped next tp it, do you see these numbers?

ok, in the socket that it plugs into, we need to see if it has power on the 85 pin, when cranking?

What do I need to set the multi meter at

12 volt dc

I’m an idiot, I’m trying to figure this thing out. Be right back

no worries

With the key on, it has power as soon as I turn the key however it loses power

it should only have power, when the key is in the start position, and the power will go away, when the key is in the run position?

That is correct

ok, do you have power on the pin 30, at all times?

it does

is there an antitheft light flashing, when you try to start it?

No, but that’s what it acts like

ok, then you either have a bad relay, or the computer is not grounding the relay, can you try jumpering the pin 30 and pin 87 and seeing if the starter turns over?

It does not

ok, the pin 87 goes directly to the starter, if you jump it from pin 30 and the pin 30 has power, the starter shuld turn over, if it does not, then the yellow/blue wire from the fuse box to the starter is broken somewhere, you can trace out the harness, but it may be easier to run a new wire from the fuse box to the starter,Tim

I need to pull the fuse panel and run a wire from the back of the starter relay to the starter, correct ?

yes, tap into the yellow/blue wire at the back of the fuse box and run it to the small wire at the starter,Tim

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,thanks,Tim

Running a new wire and hooking it up to the starter and the back of the fuse box maybe above my pay grade. I just pulled the fuse box and it’s intimidating
I just tried doing the wire job again like you suggested, and my radio came on. What does that mean ?

you got the wrong wire

are you still here?

I found the schematics for the fuse box and located the starter relay. I jumped the two pIns and the truck turns over
Are you still with me?
Tim, I appreciate the help you gave me, unfortunately with no response last night, or today, I took it into a mechanic this afternoon and dropped it off. I realize last night was New Year’s Eve, and today New Year’s Day, but I wasn’t sure if somebody was going to get back to me or if our thread was over.