Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1970 Mach 1, 351C. I installed electronic ignition. Car ran…

Customer Question
1970 Mach 1, 351C...

1970 Mach 1, 351C. I installed electronic ignition. Car ran good at first, then acted like the timing changed. Readjustment didn't work so I put the points back in. It runs the same. It has a cam in it but runs smooth like it does not. I've never seen this before. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you know your ignition timing number? How many miles are on the car?

I don't know numbers. I adjusted by ear. Car has less than 100 miles on motor

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '70 Ford?

Mustang

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have set the points and changed cap, rotor, and coil. Pertronix coil

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

New eldebrock carb.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/31/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Gary

Did you run 12V straight to the coil bypassing any ballast resistor?

What electronic ignition are you using?

What cam specifications please?

Why aren't you using a timing light to verify both ends if your advance both curve?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Comp can part # 32-221-3
.494 lift .050 duration
.006 intake open at 28 degrees BTDC
CLOSE 60 ABDC
Duration @ .050
In. 218. Ex. .218
Lobe lift .2853. In. & ex.
Separation 110 degrees
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can use light just haven’t gotten it into idle satisfactory yet.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I put the Petronix ignition in. Then removed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need to check voltage. Don’t remember a ballast resistor.

What is the spark output like? How much gap will it jump to ground?

Your factory wiring probably has a ballast resistor for the coil, we need to bypass that for electronic ignition.

Can you measure the voltage on the coil positive with the key on?

Your cam is mild, probably about stage 1 for a 351.

Should idle at 10-12, about 32 at 3000.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll check. Give me a few minutes. I now have points back in it. Tried to keep original.

Yes, that's ok.

I'll be here.

What edelbrock do you have, 600 performer?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
600
5.5 V at coil with switch on
13.8 V when running.
I set the timing @ 10 at idle with vac. Advance unplugged. Motor is still running rough and pops once and a while.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think the wires may have broken down? Only thing left are plugs and wires.

Popping through the carb or exhaust?

How did you set lifter preload?

I would have replaced the plug wires and new spark plugs.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everything was new total restoration. I did have a flooding problem with a 750 Holley. Could have fouled the plugs. But it ran well after the 600 install. I bought new plugs and wires. I’ll put them on tomorrow unless you think it may be something else.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn’t set the cam. It was done by the engine builder. He has years of 351C racing engine building experience but don’t mean he set it up correctly. He said he set it up for a4 speed.

Yes, pull the plugs to see if they are wet fuel fouled.

A friends new engine would not start because of fuel fouled plugs.

New plugs sorted his.

Can you check your spark output at some time?

The coil should match the ignition type, points coil or electronic coil.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I’ll check it tomorrow too. Can I contact you later or is this a one time thing? If so, thanks for your help and happy new year.

You can come back to this conversation when you are ready, tomorrow or a few days etc.

Happy New Year to you as well.

Gary

Hello again,,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You were a big help. The wires and plugs did it. Readjusted the timing , Thanks for your help. Great working with you.

That is good to hear.

Many happy cruising miles ahead.

Kind regards.

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician