Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

94 Taurus, behaves like starter relay defective. Battery…

94 Taurus, behaves like...

94 Taurus, behaves like starter relay defective. Battery load tested good yesterday, charging system good, headlights do not dim when i turn the key, but no click either. Problem cropped up once yesterday, but car started on third attempt with no assistance

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

I'm about to, but since it happened yesterday, I'm not sure its a fuse, but either a bad connection which ive eliminated, or a relay, which this car doesn't have. Starter is aftermarket replacement that's less than a few months old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm in a parking lot with groceries in the car, bad timing!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I'm going over the fuses momentarily

12/31/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do you own a volt meter or test light so we can test the wiring and signal to the starter motor?

I have a rudimentary voltage meter with me. Engine is hot.

What liter engine do you have?

3.0, automatic, just jumped current to starter solenoid, and got a vigorous click from it. Body control module?

At the starter are 2 wires going to it. Is the large wire showing battery voltage near 12.6 volts?

If you use a tool or wire and jump between both wire terminals does the engine crank?

I have 12v at starter, grounding to solenoid body gets it to click
Correction, I'm able to hear only initial solenoid click when turning key and fuel pump prime, but starter fails to turn over.

Only 12 volts means your battery is getting low on amps.

Can you do the test I mentioned? The starter needs power to the signal wire, the smaller wire, not a ground.

I jumped hot terminal to small terminal, only get solenoid click
I jumped hot terminal to small terminal, only get solenoid click. Should key be on?

Since you only get a click that means the starter is defective.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
That is my suspicion as well

Keep in touch if needed

Thanks

You are welcome