Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

P0022, p0340, p0345 codes. I have 3 different codes. P0022…

Customer Question
P0022, p0340, p0345 codes ...

P0022, p0340, p0345 codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

I have 3 different codes. P0022 P0340 P0345

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

Yes I cleared the codes and these three came back

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ford?

2005 expetition

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I haven't replaced anything yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

After it gets up to operating temp the oil presser drops and it starts to sound like a diesel.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/31/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 7 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, the oil pressure is your problem. When these motors get higher miles, the main engine bearings wear out and cause too much endplay and a loss of oil pressure. When the engine looses oil pressure the variable cam timing phasers cannot adjust the timing properly and set these codes. Since its loosing oil pressure and if you want to keep this vehicle. The best thing you can do would be to replace the engine. These engines have known issues with the camshaft phasers,timing chains stretching and the main engine bearing issue. So you can try and piece it out or you can drop the money and have it fixed once and for all.

I’m wanting to fix it myself.

Then you can go about either removing the engine and performing a complete rebuild, new bearings and a possible crankshaft, timing chains, phasers, timing chain guides and vct solenoids. Or replace the motor as an assembly. Changing the engine is a way better option. There is too many minor parts that can need to be replaced. If not everything is done correctly you will have to go back in and replace them as well. If the engine is sludged up it also wears the camshaft lobes as well. Also these engines are known for dropping valves. The choice is yours to tr and piece it and throw money at it over and over or go big and buy an engine and have a 3 year warranty from most engine manufuacturers.

Do you need more help with this concern?

I was wondering if there were any troubleshooting tips you could give me to narrow down. I have heard it could be just a sensor causing the issue. I’m not sure if the oil pump has gone out. I was told by someone that oil pressure is dropping because of the cam phasers do you have any recommendations?

How many miles are on the engine? You would have to do an oil pressure test with a gauge to verify actual oil pressure. If the pressure sensor is leaking it would cause the gauge to drop, but if the engine is making noise at the same time the pressure gauge drops it should be obvious its not a pressure sensor issue.

I will start there. And get back to you.

No problem, just trying to save you time and money. If its got a lot of miles, this has engine wear. See it everyday. Tons of issues on the internet about these engines. If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

I appreciate your help. However I have decided to end this communication. I think I can find all the help I need I. Other places for free.

Ok, well good luck, the end result will still put you into doing engine work.