Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1994 f150 just hear loud click when trying to start,

Customer Question
My 1994 f150 just...

My 1994 f150 just hear loud click when trying to start, happend on first really cold morning

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Selinoid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The starter was rebuilt, new battery, i changes the negative connector

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Changed the negative connector on the battery it was rusted, i just hear one loud click each time i try to start, when i first tried to start in morning it attempted to turnover for two seconds

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
12/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, there's a few things you need to check.

1. At the starter solenoid use a voltmeter to test voltage on the large cable going to the starter with the key in the start position. There should be 12-12.6 volts. If not the solenoid is bad.

2. If battery voltage is present check the cable connection at the solenoid and starter. If voltage is present of 12-12.6 volts then check that the starter is secured good to the engine for its ground. Also check the resistance from the starter body itself to the negative battery post, it should be less than 1 ohm. If it is 1 ohm or more check your negative cable ground connection.

3. If all the above test good the starter is bad.