Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 98 Ford windstar with a 3.8 it is setting code

Customer Question
I have a 98...

I have a 98 Ford windstar with a 3.8 it is setting code p1538 both intake manifold runner controls work as they should but they both lose vacuum after the engine gets hot do you have any ideas what the problem might be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

P1538 yes i have cleared the code

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Windstar yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it myself al i have tried so far is checking for vacuum leakes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have checked both manifold runners and they seem to be working fine

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
12/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 1 month ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, are the rods from the actuators attached to the runners??? very common problem for the plastic clips to break and the rods fall off.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the problem is i am losing vacuum to them after the engine gets hot

ok

they are commanded on by the pcm according to engine load. they do not work all the time.

dod you have a code set for these??

Roy

do you still need help

roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest