Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When flat towing my 2017 Ford Edge behind my motorhome,

Customer Question
When flat towing my...

When flat towing my 2017 Ford Edge behind my motorhome, occasionally, when turning a corner, the Ford will begin to shake (wobble) violently. I have to pull off the road. I have heard this referred to as a "Death Wobble". It apparently is common with Jeeps and there is a steering wire harness fix. Ford tells me that they never heard of the problem. I believe that it has something to do with the electronic steering where the wheels do not come back to center after a turn. This create a very dangerous situation. Are you aweare of the problem? Do you know of a fix.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

Yes. Electronic power steering. Yes the fluid is fine. Only 6600 miles on the ca.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't know where to begin. Have taken it to Ford, Linex, the people who installed the towing plate and blue ox tow bar, and the guy who installed the Invisabrake. None have heard of the problem in relation to towing. All have heard of the death wobble problem on heave duty trucks, but it is unrelated to my situation.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This has happened about 6 times over about 3000 miles of towing. Always when turning a corner. Blue Ox is aware of the problem, but only as it relates to Jeeps. Jeep has actually has a specific Mopar steering wire harness that supposedly fixes the problem.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 6 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** when this happens, its the transfer case overheating, are you stopping after 6 hours and starting the car and letting it idle for 5 minutes, every 6 hours?