Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Kenny, I have a mustang with no voltage signal on both front…

Customer Question
Hi Kenny,I have a mustang...
Hi Kenny,I have a mustang with no voltage signal on both front hego's, they both are stuck at 0.97 and 1V, can you give me the correct pinout and wire to check and what the ref voltage should be?
I assume it's the PCM since the car has seen some flood damage, but I just want to make sure.
It's a 2005 manula with the CDC3 ECU
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
12/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 4 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

There is no reference voltage as the sensors are voltage generators. I would pull the brake booster hose while monitoring the signals with the engine running, if the sensors do not switch to lean at that point then I would agree the PCM has failed.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Thanks great idea. let me try that.

Your welcome and best of luck!

well, that worked, at least they responded and the SFT went all the way to 27% so they are both working, but something is causing they don't work properly, codes are P2196 and 2198 adn 2271 and 2273
could low voltage cause this? as it is only producing 12.3V

Sorry for the delay, I am at Ford school all week so pretty much unavailable but I will try to get on in the evening as much as I can.

Is this a USA built Mustang? What engine does it have in it? So the alternator output is 12.3 volts? Then its not charging. 12.3 is enough for the sensors and PCM to operate correctly. How does the engine run? To have all 4 O2's indicating rich, it is either out of time, severe exhaust restriction, canister purge stuck open, severe intake restriction....

that's the weird thing, it runs pretty normal, reponds good on the throttle, checked the airfilter, tube, the TB, TB gasket for leaks, checked the vac hoses from the valvecover, the new sensors were mounted correct( left and right not mixed up).
But you can smell it's not running correct.

This won't be caused by a vacuum leak. Too little air flow or too much fuel. Excessive fuel pressure, purge vapors entering intake, MAF sensor or the PCM not calculating fuel trims correctly. You could try unplugging the MAF and see how the trims respond,just make sure to look quickly before the system goes into open loop. Make sure fuel pressure is not too high. Make sure the purge valve is not stuck open. Usually when the PCM is the cause the O2's won't respond to a large vacuum leak, but it still could be a PCM.

where is that purge valve located?
BTW the FP at idle runs around 271KPa

Still don't know what engine

4.6 3V, 2005
can I test that valve, it doesn't show up as faulty when running IDS, fuel pressure is correct with 271 KPa?

Just unplug the electrical connector then remove the line that goes to fuel tank, start engine, should be no vacuum present at valve port. I will be off line until this evening

Hi Kenny,I checked the purge valve, new fuel filter, swapped the fuel rail sensor, swapped the MAF, swapped the intake tube all no difference. However I tested the fuelsystem with IDS, fuel pressure and leak test OK, but as soon as it goes to the injector testing, it says it can not continue the test starting with injector #1 and won't go to the next one either.

Usually this is caused by fuel pressure bleed down, how long would it hold pressure for with the pump off?

Let me check
Tested it with IDS,
Fuel pressure is in the green field so that is good, the leakdown test doesn't hold long, after a minute it has lost 80KPA, after a minute it's at 311KPa

That's not enough to not allow relative injector flow. Not sure why it would lock you out. So key on engine off on demand test shows PCM pass?

indeed, it does the pump pressure, and leakdown test, but it locks at the injector flow test
I am opting out, I don't think you are reading my responses
I do read them, but since I am on the other side of the pond, we do have some time differences.... so no problem.
yes KOEO it does all the tests correct, PSM is up to date as well, I also loaded a new file with an SCT tuner see if that would make a difference, but no help either.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech