Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2006 F150 4x4 with automatic air. My havoc motor…

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 F150 4x4 with automatic air. My havoc motor has been blowing only at high and I have changed the blower resister 3 Times. With each time the ac working normally until 24 hours, then it’s back to blowing high again. Ive checked the blower relay and no fuse in the. 116 slot. I’m at my wits end

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

86k, runs perfect

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes replacing the blower resister and checked relays and fuses

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello?
12/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Pete, Mechanic

Usually when the truck or car eats resistors, it is a blower motor problem. The motor is pulling to many amps Is it the original motor or has it been changed in the past?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s still oem
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
possibly the blower itself could be eating up these resisters?

Can you ck the amp draw? It should be between 14 to 18 amps when the fan is on high. Yes I have replaced more than a few motors for the problem you are having.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unfortunately i don’t have a meter to do so, I’m not the best electrical guy around

Well I don"t like replacing parts untill I"m sure of the problem, but in this case, after 3 resistors, I would be leaning toward the motor being the problem. Another thing to ck would be the connectors for the motor, resistor, and switch, to see if there is any signs of overheating or melting on the connector terminals.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I started at the electric control to the resistor as well as the relay and all appear fine. I was unable to get the blower dismounted to inspect it.

Since you have checked those connectors, and they are ok, the only thing left to do is ck the other connectors and the switch. If they look ok the motor is the final piece of the puzzle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is the switch located

I see that yours is an auto hvac so there is no seperate switch.It is built into the control head. If you want to wait untill tomorrow, I can ck the wiring diagram I have at work to see if there is another control module in this system. I dont think there is but I want to make sure. I don"t want you to just replace the motor to see what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good id appreciate that

Ok I will contact you tomorrow.

The blower motor has power when the ignition is on. The resistor grounds the motor for all speeds. So I think the motor is the problem since it is eating the resistors. Pulling to many amps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! I ordered a new blower and resister so hopefully that’ll do it.

One more thing see if you can get Motorcraft parts.They might cost a bit more but are much better quality than the aftermarket.

Pete, Mechanic