Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 ford escape that had a misfire I took it in to…

Customer Question
I have a 2001 ford...
I have a 2001 ford escape that had a misfire I took it in to have the transmisson looked at because it was jerking bad when going from a complete stop to acceleration so when he looks at my car he tells me nothing is wrong with the tranny that its shifting just fine and the only codes showing is a misfire in cylinder 5 and that it looks as all the ignition coils are new and is afraid I may not have compression in that cylinder. The car has a exhaust smell and leak from tailpipe has a rough idle but doesnt have bad vibrationit doesnt overheat and seems to get decent power the transmission seems to slip at times and over draft light flashes and wont go off there isnt a single service light on and no transmission codes?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
12/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Not all scan tools can get transmission codes from the PCM. Was this your scan tool that you used?

No the mechanic that I took the car to told me nothing was wrong with the transmission in one day it has used a quart of transmission fluid and there are no leaks.

You may need to try another shop. If the overdrive light is flashing there are codes stored. If you are losing trans oil then there is a concern. Since no trans oil is going onto the ground then it has to be going into the transmission cooler that is built into the radiator. See if your coolant has trans oil in it. If not then a more close inspection is needed to see if it is leaking. A transmission cannot consume oil, only lose it.

On that misfire concern, just because you have new coils, do not assume you have low compression. A compression test is needed to check the engine out. If it is fine then assume a coil, plug, injector, or PCM signal issue to the coil or injector.

You for sure have 2 different issues going on here.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

There is no transmission fluid in the coolant so the transmission wouldnt burn the fluid just lose it also what could be causing the transmission to jerk and leak transmission fluid?
Also the overdraft off does not flash at all times does that mean anything?

No, the transmission will not burn off oil, oil can only be lost into the cooler or onto the ground. The trans would have to get SUPER hot to burn oil and that kind of heat would equate to a melted transmission or fire. Odds are it is leaking from the converter seal and coming out where the engine and trans meet at the base of the bell housing. A trans can jerk from clutch, band, or converter clutch failure, also any of those can cause slipping which equates to heat which equates to premature converter seal failure.

The OD light will flash when a concern is noticed with the trans and it also means codes are stored. When off that means the issue is not being detected by the PCM.

Does the jerking mean the transmission already has damage and needs replaced?

A trans only needs to be replaced if the trans is full of ground up metal and pretty much destroyed. If it is not that bad it can always be removed and rebuilt. I rebuild about 100 CD4E transaxles from the Escape per year.

Could a clogged filter be a issue other then a leak?

Trans filters do not clog unless the trans is ruined beyond repair. On this model, there is not a filter that can be serviced with a fluid change.

Thank you

Glad I could help.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician