Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

There is something going on with my tail lights headlights…

Customer Question
There is something going...

There is something going on with my tail lights headlights and so forth when I hit my brakes I don't have any lights and if I'm not hitting the brake I do have lights I also hear some sort of a clicking in the ignition

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

I have check the bulbs and checked the connection

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

And 02 Ford Explorer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked the ground wires and the connection the bulbs and I have a trailer hooked up to it right now so I have checked the trailer and towing packages

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If my tail light and headlight are mainly being affected by this and my radio going in and out but only when I hit the brake or let off of it are the lights going in and out so where do I check for bad wiring like what is my source

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 6 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do you own a digital volt meter? I ask because we need to do some wire testing.

I do but I do not have it with me and I am stranded on the side of the road out of state

Will the hazards and headlights work with the brake not pressed?

when my brake is pressed I have headlights taillights the radio comes on and everything but when the brake is not pressed I have no lights at all

It seems the concern changed from what you originally wrote.

1. There is something going on with my tail lights headlights and so forth when I hit my brakes I don't have any lights and if I'm not hitting the brake I do have lights
  2. when my brake is pressed I have headlights taillights the radio comes on and everything but when the brake is not pressed I have no lights at all

Can you confirm which issue it is?

number 2 for sure sorry for the confusion

If you disconnect the trailer connector does that change things?

No I tried that

How far do you have to get to get to your next exit or to a place that may sale a test light or volt meter?

there is absolutely nowhere even close that I can get to that is open to get a voltmeter when I hooked up the car dolly it had bad bulbs, when I tap my break the radio parking and spedometer all dim and when I press the brakes I have tail lights and brake lights but if I let off the brake I do not have either it seems to be something with the brakes and I also hear a clicking that sounds like it's coming from the ignition

The problem is the issues you have do not share the same fuses nor grounds. It is almost as if someone has done a wiring repair on the vehicle at some point and it was done wrong. Meaning a circuit is getting power or ground from a place it should not be. We need some way to tell if you are losing power or ground to the headlights or parking lights during this issue. Then we could track this down.

At this time without a tool for testing. I could help you make the brake lights just stay on and you drive with the headlights and flashers on, to your next location.

I would like to know how to make the brake lights stay on and have my headlights work at the same time then I could possibly get to my next location to get a test meter
when I do get to my location and am able to get a test meter are you still going to be able to answer my questions to fix the actual problem without charging me anything else

It is 11:19 pm here in TN. I log off at 3am

If you can get back to me by then, yes I can help more. If not then I can help tomorrow when I log back on around lunch.

You are only charged once and only pay once.

Unplug the brake switch on the brake pedal, use a paper clip or a piece of wire and jump across both wires in the connector to make the brake lights stay on. Based on your description the other lights should now work.

Now understand, your brake lights on means your torque converter clutch is not going to engage in 4th and 5th gears to lower the rpm and keep the transmission cool. So when you can shift to neutral and let it coast, do so to help the trans oil cool back off.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris