Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 200 ford ranger five speed four wheel drive. I started it…

Customer Question
My 200 ford ranger...

My 200 ford ranger five speed four wheel drive. I started it it ran for ten minutes. I put it in reverse, it seemed to be locked and would not move. Then the engine died and will not start?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ranger?

2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything yet. I don't know what to try.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
12/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 6 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, is this an automatic or manual transmission? Is it full of trans fluid? Does the fluid look ok/red or does it look black or burnt? No warning lights on or diagnostic trouble codes stored?

5 speed stick no codes

Ok does the shifter move freely or is the shifter hung up for the transmission? Is both the transmission and the transfer case full of fluid? Clutch pedal feel ok and working? Will it run if you hold down on the clutch to disengage the transmission?

there full of fluid, IT will not start if I hold the Clutch down. pedal ok

Ok does the engine crank over then and not start? what engine is in it the 4 cylinder 2.3? Des the engine sound like it is cranking over faster than normal or hiccups when cranking?

6 cyl and not faster cracking

WHat do you mean cracking, you turn the key to on and it goes click click Can the engine turn over by hand using a breaker bar?

the engine turns over normal when in nutral

Ok, so the shifter moves ok, it cranks but wont start. Do you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail and spark? Does the ed THEFT warning lamp flash quickly when you put the key to the on position?

Does the shifter move into each gear range when off?