Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Starter stuck on. Shut off but did not stop disconnect

Starter stuck on. Shut...

Starter stuck on. Shut off but did not stop disconnect battle,

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this the first time the starter has gotten stuck, or has it given you trouble before?

No then no power in cab, no lights botging

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Cab?

89

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?

Check fusses

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the battery disconnected now and if so when you connect it does the starter engage itself automatically?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No but cross celiniud starter goes but not start no power to cab at all

Did the starter stick on at one point then this issue happened where you have no power to the cab and it will not start?

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Daniel Wilson
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Checked fuse box power no
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Checked celinoid new
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought you were going to call me

Did someone else call you on this here?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yesterday
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I talked to you I just chang d ignition relay!?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Call?

I am not sure who called you yesterday.Did you actually speak with someone on the phone here yesterday on this problem and do you remember their name at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought it was you I don't carewho it was can you help?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Said that would check diagrams last night and let me know today

It looks like the person you spoke with on the phone is not online right now.But I can try and help here with this.

What all did you speak about or what did the expert have you do or check for this issue so far?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Starter changed celiboid changed no power to cab jump celiboid will turn starter no power to cab check power fuse box no check ground good changed ignition switch changed ignition relay

O.k.,just so I can look at the correct diagrams on this model here what model vehicle is this and what liter engine is in it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Von#1ftef15y8kld47337 ,f150 6cylinder
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1989

If you have a test light or multi meter take one end and connect it to ground.Then test and see if you have one wire that has power at the starter solenoid at all times key on or off.This should be a large wire.

Ten locate the red/light blue stripe wire and test to see if it has power with the key held in the crank/start position and let me know.This sounds to be a fault with the electronic ignition switch and this testing will help us determine if this switch needs replaced.Let me know when you're ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Red wire that clips on S stood?

There should be large wires and one should have power at all times key on or off.Then there should be a small red wire with blue stripe.This wire should have power when the key is held in the crank position.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On the celiboid?

Yes this should be at the solenoid itself.Here is a diagram layout for your starting system.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zn7n6mf1w7lfw62/dia-12-30.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
big wire has power little wire no

O.k. next step is to locate the two yellow wires at the electronic ignition switch and see if they both have power at all times key on or off.If they do then the ignition switch is faulty needing replaced.If they do not then the fusible link is faulty that is shown in the diagram with it needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is the swich?

It should bolt to the side of the steering column and should look similar to the switch below.You may have to remove some trim covers to access it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xuyeffgt2myleqy/ig-12-30.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvycbo8q6zry1gg/ign-12-30.jpg?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No power its brannew just changed it

Is there power at the yellow wires at it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is the fusible link?

My info isnt showing me a picture but the description shows RH Fender Apron.There should be one or more wires that are fusible links and they connect with wiring to the battery positive.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Found power at both ignition relays

O.k.,you need to see if the fusible link wire is broken needing replaced.It may appear to be broken or burned or you may be able to tug on it and if it stretched and breaks then it needs replaced.This is the main cause for no power at the electronic ignition switch itself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What if I jumped a hot wire to each yellow wire to the switch?

You would want to disconnect these wires in case of a short ( the yellow wires) then run the same gauge thickness wires to the switch itself with a fuse inline.Most likely a 30 amp fuse so if there are any future shorts it wont burn out the wiring.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
12 volts to each one?

Yes you would want a constant 12 volts to each connection at the switch where these yellow wires are located.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks works fine know!

Your welcome

Pete, Auto Service Technician