Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 ford escape and the electric steering went out…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 ford escape and the electric steering went out and I'm trying to find out how to determine which part is bad

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford Escape. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Just went out after we shut the car off and hasn't worked since I didn't know if there is a way to reset the system

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

It's probably the torque sensor in the steering column. We're you aware of the recall on this? and have you had it looked at yet by chance? You might be able to get it fixed for free.

Is there a way to reset the system. Or how can I dtermine what part is bad

Ford had to recall 08-11 escapes and explorer's for electric power steering issues. I would first suggest calling a ford dealer and give them you VIN number and see if yours is covered.

already checked and no recall on my vin

Alright, sorry about that. Do you have a scan tool capable of communicating with the power steering system.

Ok so is the torq sensor more likely to go out first
I have a multi scan tool but there are no warning lights on. But the ignition switch is acting up. Could that cause a problem with steering

Yes, they do give trouble. which is what is replaced on the recall. I would go by the dealer and maybe give them the VIN and have them double check for any open recalls. Make sure another service writer double checks it. it could be the pump or a power supply problem to the pump as well, but the first main thing is to check the codes, does it have any power assist at all?

None at all

Check fuse number 35 and make sure it's powering up.