Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Bought a used cluster van won't start. I heard it has to be…

Customer Question
Bought a used cluster...

Bought a used cluster van won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I heard it has to be programed is tha true

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2000 windstar van

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Windstar yourself? What have you tried so far?

The old cluster was bad the gauges were flickering

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/29/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Ford technician and would be happy to assist you with this.You are correct, the new cluster is going to have to be programmed by the dealer or a local ford certified repair.The cluster works inline of the security system, so if it is not programmed it will not communicate when trying to start
i can bring cluster to ford and they will program it ?
that is correct, it is usually around a .5hr labor charge
Don’t need to bring van ?
The older models can be programmed by themselves with a breakout box. It would be best to bring the van, but not required if it is not starting
No it won’t start

Yeah then the van would have to be towed in order to be programmed there