Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

We have a 2018 Ford Transit 350 gas that my guys accidently…

Customer Question
We have a 2018...

We have a 2018 Ford Transit 350 gas that my guys accidently hit a couple of main power wires with a screw and blew 3 of the fuses that are located behind the battery under the driver seat. It blew 2 - 60 amp fuses and the 100 amp on the block that has 8 fuse links. We taped/repaired the nicked wires and got a new fuse panel from the Ford dealership. Because if you blow 1 you have to get the whole thing. The part number was BK2Z*14526*B. We have replaced it and everything seems to work but it won't start. It will turn over but will not start. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

It technically has 1 under the hood, 1 to the right under the steering wheel, 1 to the left of the steering wheel and the large panel under the seat with the battery. The one by the battery supplies the power to all the other fuse boxes.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your F350?

2018 Ford Transit 350 with the 3.7 V6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

We replaced the blown panel behind the seat and have checked what we believe all the fuses in the remaining fuse boxes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
12/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 month ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Ok, is the antitheft/immobilizer light blinking on and off or staying on the whole time the key is on

have you checked for spark, fuel, fuel injector pulse signal yet and if so, what are the results

Please remember that I am not there and therefore may need to ask for more information at times

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for slow reply. Been out of the office. No, the antitheft light is not on but the check engine light is blinking when the ignition is switched on.
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 1 month ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Have you pulled the codes yet and cleared them out to make sure there is no engine codes stopping the ignition from starting, like the starter immobilizer? My concern is with such a huge amp backflow that you had that a module is affected and preventing the vehicle from starting. Running a scan will rule that out.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When reading it, there are no codes but there are 2 monitors that are incomplete. The CAT and EVAP are incomplete.

The monitors won't stop the vehicle from starting. They are just the system evap items to teach the PCM of waht the vehicle is doing to get the best performance and the cleanest results based on the driver habits.

With no codes keeping the vehicle from starting, then the next check is to see if you are getting power to the starter relay from the ignition. The starter relay gets the signal from the module and that will help determine if you popped that module with the amp back feed.

On the relay, you have 1 pin that is constant hot, then one that is constant ground when the vehicle is in neutral or park (safety loop). How they go is pin 85 is the ground loop. You should see a constant ground there when you are in park. Then you have pin 30 that will give the feed from the power. Pin 87 is sends the signal to the starter to engage. Verify it reads ground. Now you are good for those.

Then check pin 86 when the key is turned to the start position. If you are not getting the power from there, then there is a module issue. The module is not getting full power due to melted wire from high amps that got through, back feed from the ground, or the module popped internally from the spark.

That will rule out a lot and point in the right direction to where to proceed for it basically just eliminated 1/2 the vehicle and the entire starting circuit from the module side. That will also eliminate the fuses too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The starter turns over fine. It just will not crank as if it is not getting any fuel. So do we need to still check that the starter relay is getting power from the ignition? Thanks

The module is good then.

The fuel is controlled by the BCM side, the immobilizer or alarm on the vehicle. You should hear the fuel pump engage when you turn the key on. If you do, the fuel system is good and the issue is then 100% related to the immobilizer/alarm on the vehicle.

No theft light flashing, right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct. No theft light flashing. Let us check to see if we here the fuel pump engage. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When we turn on the ignition we hear the fuel pump.

You do... Hmmm... So you are getting fuel, but not getting fire.

That is more in the engine versus the electrical side or the CAN BUS side. I can do the rest, until it gets to there for I am a network engineer and a diesel engine tech. Gasoline driveability is out of my scope on that engine for that is the new engine and I'm not familiar with the engine itself as far as ignition spark system.

Let me opt out and email the engine guy. He should be on now.

Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 23 days ago

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Do you need more time to resolve the issue?

Jeremy
Jeremy