Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I would like a certified Ford technician to confirm one Ford…

Customer Question
Hi. I would like a...
Hi. I would like a certified Ford technician to confirm one Ford spec. is compatible with a newer Ford spec. I have a 2010 Ford Fusion SE trim with a 2.5L engine. It has the G6M Mazda 6-speed manual tranny. I want to try and keep it maintained well since it has done fairly well over 300K miles. The original gear lube for the tranny is Motorcraft XT4QGL which is SAE 75W-90 API GL4. Ford no longer carries this part number and it is getting harder and more expensive to find. I have sources that say to use the newer full synthetic manual transmission fluid
(Motorcraft XT-M5-QS) and then I have other sources that say if your transmission has any yellow metals or brass bearings in it, that the new synthetic lube will break them down over time. So I don't know whether to keep using the original or switch to the new.
The old tranny lube was Ford spec. WSS-M2C203-A1 while the synthetic lube is recommended for transmissions that call for Ford spec WSD-M2C200-C and older.
Here is a quote from amazon about this full synthetic lube,
"Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid is a premium-quality SAE 75W-90 gear oil recommended by Ford Motor Company meeting warranty requirements. It is particularly recommended for 1995-2011 MTX-75 and IB5 transmissions, and is also recommended for older transmissions including rear wheel drive that recommend GL-3 and GL-4 type gear oils."But I have a 2010 Mazda 6-speed (G6M) transmission so I don't believe this lube will work. How can I know for sure this will work and not damage my transmission? If the full synthetic gear lube will not work, then what will? This is the only replacement I can find online that Ford has made available for older manual transmissions.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
12/29/2017
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 6 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

I would use gm's snychromesh transmission fluid. Here is a forum you can look over. I have used this for many ford and mazda transmissions and it works so much better then the gl4. And you have to remember that ford owns mazda, and many fords use the mazda transmissions in them. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=511788

gl3 and 5 are not good for your transmission. It just does not lubricate the synchronizers like it should. They just do not protect brass parts like they should.

I noticed I just got charged $10 without receiving an answer to my question.

I gave you an answer.

The answer you supplied does not answer my question. Please reread the question.

You wanted a substitute for gl4. gm's snychromesh transmission fluid is the best thing you can use.

At the very beginning of my post I stated, "...to confirm one Ford spec. is compatible with a newer Ford spec. "
So I need to know whether Ford spec WSS-M2C203-A1 is compatible with Ford spec WSD-M2C200-C.

The WSD-M2C200-C was suppose to replace the original fluid in you transmission. But it does not protect like it should. It does not protect against wear of the brass part in your transmission. That is why I totally ignored the ford fluid. It just is not safe for you to use. Ford will never admit to it, as they want your money for there fluid. If your want your transmission to last do not use the ford fluids in it. Use the syncromesh and it will last longer then if you used the original fluid ford has. It just has better protection against wear.

Ok. That did sort of answer my question. Can you give your source for this information?

I can give you three of my customers that used the " new fluid" and there transmissions went out in less then a year.

these three customers' transmissions were originally specified WSS-M2C203-A1?

Yes. And they too wanted to use only ford specified fluids. Now they have gm's syncromesh in there transmissions and say they work better now then they did the day the bought there cars.

I have all 3 volumes of the 2010 Ford Fusion, MKZ, Milan, and hybrids workshop manuals and they very clearly state the G6M manual 6-speed is a Mazda and that the gear oil is indeed specified at WSS-M2C203-A1 as the OEM original.

Less noise from the transmission, and smother shifts. I am not here to sell you anything, just give you the best advise I can to protect you against having trouble out of your car. The original fluid does not protect your cr as well as the syncromesh will.

Ok. I have looked up the synchromesh and have noticed there are at least a couple different types. Which type should I use? Do you have a part number of exactly which to use? It would be helpful. Thank you.
Would that the AC Delco brand?
I found this, GM 88900333 Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 1Qrt
I also see there is something known as "friction modified" so i still am not sure what to get.

The best one to use is, Royal Purple 01512 Synchromax High Performance Manual Transmission Oil . But it can be hard to find. Ebay is a good source for locating it. Or you can use, ACDelco 88861800 .