Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an awful grinding noise when I start the rig, same…

Customer Question
I have an awful...

I have an awful grinding noise when I start the rig , same sound when you try to start an already running vehicle. I replaced the ignition switch and now it seems battery is dead and still make grinding noise??

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

It’s brand new and tested good before ignition switch replace unable to test now

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2000 expedition 5.4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

On my 3rd starter 2nd battery 2nd starter relay and a new ignition switch, wires things happen , wipers come on when you turn on key

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that I think it is an electrical issue and not starter or flywheel

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
12/29/2017
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

this sounds like the starter motor clutch / throw out bearing may be jammed

often they can be given a new lease of life by removing the starter

and using brake cleaner to thoroughly degrease and remove all debris then apply some fresh copper grease to the pinion shaft and try re-fitting it

one other thing to check is if the ring gear isn't damaged and that the mating face for the motor is square and flat

also check that castings aren't cracked or deformed

Also check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Ford Mechanic: Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician replied 3 months ago
Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician

new expert here, i am going to send you a special request to solve your issue with an indepth phone call. Long story short, a faulty reman starter has caused you a compound ,very expensive issue.

Please explain a little more

A faulty reman starter with incorrect final installed clearance has damaged the flywheel along with the starter bendix, both will have to be replaced and before starting the first time the damaged ignition switch will have to be replaced, unfortunately this will require transmission removal.

replacement of the flywheel, torqueing new hold down bolts, the starter repla cing and torqueing of the new hold down bolts, then replacement of the the ignition swirtch from increased resistance damage causing the weird electrical malfunctions.

apparently the phone call service i was referring to is still having technical malfunction issues, admin has benn working on the problem lately.

Please rate my service and i will continue to answer your questions until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician