Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Similar problem to link I reading now: ( I can shut explorer…

Customer Question
Similar problem to link...

Similar problem to link I reading now: (https://www.justanswer.com/ford/38l6i-1997-ford-explorer-won-t-shut-off-key-i.html). I can shut explorer off and it still runs.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Explorer?

1997

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm hoping to work on it myself but... it's 4 degrees outside and I dont have a heated garage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No leaking. It's actually very tight for such an older vehicle. Why? How would that affect the vehicle not shutting off?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also having trouble getting it to stay in park to start it. Have purchased the bushings that go around the linkage cylindar/bar but haven't put them in yet. Also replaced the key lock cylinder about 3 months ago

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
12/28/2017
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

you will need to access the ignition switch and we need to check for power and ground in certain places. do you have a voltmeter?

are yoiu there?

had to run arrands. I'll have to work on it tomorrow. Can i respond then?

absolutely

39;m pretty sure i can get to the ignition switch but it's 0 degrees here right now and i dont have a heated garage so i'll have to work on it tomorrow.

ok, you can get me right here tomorrow, ill leave this open

hows it going?

sorry it's taking so long to reply. It's -11 without wind chill. Had the starter solenoid quit also. So i cant work on that outside so i can get it started and in my garage. I would like to keep this open but dont know when it will be warm enough to work on it outside..

ok, ill keep it open for as long as possible

i can ask one question that comes to mind: what type of linkage is between the key lock cylinder and the ignition switch?
Just the little metal rod that moves the ignition switch forward and back?

yes its a rod that engages the ignition switch

if the explorer will keep running with the key out, then it must be some type of short in the ignition switch?

yes sir

A long time ago, the previous owner had a remote starter. Should i be looking for that to be causing problems?

aftermarket installs are always causing issues, whether it's a remote start, stereo or alarm system.

Do remote starters tend to tap into the fuse panel?

yes. I don't do aftermarket installs and have no idea how they get wired except I know they tap into certain fuses. if someone comes to my shop and asked for an aftermarket anything installed, I send them off.