Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

THE TRUCK HAD A BAD BATTERY I REPLACED THE BATTERY NOW IT…

Customer Question
THE TRUCK HAD...

THE TRUCK HAD A BAD BATTERY I REPLACED THE BATTERY NOW IT WON'T START NO CRANK OR NOTHING

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

YES I CHECKED THe volts it has 12.73 the old battery was no good I hooked everything up correctly now it wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Ford?

I'm sorry its a 2003 escape

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing my self I I haven't done nothing I cant figure out whats wrong it started this morning with the old battery then I put the new on and no it won't turn on or no crank

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's about it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
12/28/2017
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 1 month ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

THere is a theft light on the dash that turns on when the key is turned to the ON position. Can you take note of the theft light and let me know what it does when you turn the ignition to the on position?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok yes I had a dead cell in my orginal battery it would not start I replaced the BATTERY with a new one and now it won't crank or start

Ok. You should first check the operation of the theft light.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took it auto zone and they said there was a dead cell so I bought a new one and no it won't start and it started fine every other day

Ok. What does the theft light do when the ignition is turned on?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the theft light is on but it always on it goes away when i try to start it i disconnected the battery 10 minutes and pressed on the brake i read online that it works to reset anti theft i called local ford they told me there should be no reason for it to activate just by replacing the battery

So the theft light comes on for 3 seconds then goes off when you turn the key on?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
correct i open the door the theft light is blinking but when i go to start it goes away just the battery light is on

Alright. That is normal operation of the theft system. Have you checked the fuses under the hood?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have checked the fuses they are all good

Then you need to go right to the starter with a test light and verify there is power at the starter on the large battery cable, and power on the small trigger wire when the key is turned to the START position.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Do you have any questions about checking for power at the starter? This will indicate if the starter is bad or power is nt getting to the starter.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician