Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an older model pro-start remote for my ford truck. i…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older model pro-start remote for my ford truck. i put a new battery in , it started my truck with no problem. if i let it sit for a day or two, the battery in the fob goes dead. maybe a short?? can i get a replacement for this without buying a whole new system??

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Yes. when i bought the new battery it was showing 12.4volts/ i used it once. it worked fine. when i tried to use it the next day it was showing 2 or 3 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Ford?

Its a 2000 ford ranger

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

There isn't anything wrong with the vehicle. i think its the fob for the remote

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/28/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Here is the Prostart contact list for you and you can call and order a replacement remote and program it to your system. Since your system is over 17 years old the remote may not be available but they may have a compatible newer one that you can use or may have to replace entire unit. Before calling you will need to find and document numbers on the Prostart module.

http://www.autostart.ca/WhereToBuy/