Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a f250 and it is using coolant. I have had the system…

Customer Question
I have a f250...

I have a f250 and it is using coolant . I have had the system checked and no leaks. yet i have added about 3 quarts of coolant in last 6 weeks. What are the possible problems

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

10 years 20 30 miles a day. there is no sign of leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have had it in for service twice and they cannot find a leak. i am not a mechanic at all what ever has to be done i have to have it done in a shop

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/28/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

Any engine using a large amount of coolant with no apparent external loss, would most likely be a head gasket issue.

Can you get your mechanics to test for CO in the coolant please?

Gary

if that is the problem about how much could it cost. it is a 6.0
will i hurt it if i keep driving it
i just had it serviced and there were no problems that they mentioned. Nothing in oil etc. coolant was ok then

If is still running ok, not misfiring etc, and you keep the coolant up, you should be fine short term.

Cost is about 10 hours labour plus heads resurface etc.

So about $1500 in a good shop.

Gary

what do you call short term

3 quarts in 6 weeks, so 1 quart per fortnight.

Short term about 1 - 3 months.

If there is no rough running, keep the water up to it for now.

This might have only recently started after service, but that can happen unfortunately.

Gary

thank you for your advice. I appreciate the information. Will get it to a dealer with in the month

You're welcome.

Have a good day.

Hope you had a good Christmas.

Gary