Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1999 Ford F-150 with a no heat problem. The dash…

Customer Question
I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 Ford F-150 with a no heat problem. The dash control switch clicks throughout all settings and blows air on each and turns off, but air only comes through the AC core? I was replacing the blend door through the glove compartment so I have access to the heat and AC cores. Although air only comes through the AC core on all settings, I can feel heat radiating in the heater core when I place my hand in front of it. where would you start? Vacuum, resistor, control valve, other?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

Coolant level is fine. there is heat in the heat core and I had the truck running for hours while working on it (yes I disabled the air bags first) and the temp gauge was fine and consistent, so I assume this is not a thermostat issue. just only air moving through the AC vent. Is there only one blower, is there possibly a door that is failing to channel air through to behind the heater core?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just checked the blend door activator- working fine, and removed the fixtures behind the glove compartment to get at the blend door- which is now open. again, air only coming through the AC core on all switch settings..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Really only intend to get heat going- I don't care about having AC, and will not be replacing the blend door. I just want to get air flowing through the heat core.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/27/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 6 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, which blend door where you replacing behind the glove box? You checked the temperature blend door at the bottom center of the ac/heater box? You see it moving back and forth when turning the temperature knob? Do both heater hoses get hot when the truck reaches normal operating temperature?

both heater hoses get hot- note I reported there is heat reaching the heater core, just not air moving through the core, air only comes through the AC core. The blend door is in front of the heater core.
I do not wish to pay to have a call. Please respond through this venue.

If you unbolt the temperature blend door and manually move the blend door do you get heat? You said you see the actuator move? The blend door isnt broken? Im confused what you replaced when you said you replaced a blend door.

I reported I was going to replace the blend door- this is assuming there is actually heat moving through the heat core. When I opened it up I discovered the issue is, there was no, is no heat moving through the heat core. There is only air moving through the AC core according to how I set the air volume control- low amount on low setting, increasing according to the volume control I set. I can get a lot of air, but only through the AC core, which is to the right of the heat core which is to the left of the AC core.

Ok you say you have heat at the heater core but no heat at the heater core. Do you see my confusion? You havent said if you removed the temperature blend door at the bottom of the case if the door is broken or if it changes temperature if you move it. Its common to see the temperature blend door actuator/motor fail and it be stuck in one position but you said it is moving fine??? The temperature door is not behind the glove box. its at the bottom center of the dash as shown. Remove it and check its operation and replace if needed.

Please read my full postings. I said I have heat "radiating" off the heater core (behind the blend door) when I place my hand in and in front of it (I have the glove compartment open so I can reach through to the left and inspect the heater core). But, no air is moving through the heater core. No matter what setting I place the dash control switch on (High AC, AC, Floor, Defrost, etc.) air only ever moves through the AC core. The blend door activator works fine... the blend door works fine, but if air does not "switch" from coming through the AC core to coming through the heater core, there is not heated air for the blend door to regulate according to the heat setting switch on the dash. Bot***** *****me, why can I not stop air from moving through the AC core, and begin moving though the heater core.

Do you need more help with this concern?

If you need more help just let me know If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.