Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Key won't turn. Initially the steering wheel was not locked…

Customer Question
Key won't turn Mechanic's...

Key won't turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Initially the steering wheel was not locked but I turned it and it did finally lock. As far as the key, I only have one key. I don't suspect the key it worked fine every time without hesitation, never gave any indication of wear. Had to moe the vehicle for snow plowing the driveway. the next day key would not turn...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2004 expedition

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will, nothing yet but shaking the wheel, shaking the gear shifter, stomping the brake, the obvious things

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is this a fee for advice situation?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
12/27/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 8 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, there is most likely an issue with the ignition tumbler being worn. The ignition tumbler that you slide the key into will need to be replaced and recoded to match the key for the vehicle. Its good practice to replace both the ignition keys with the tumbler. These are PATS security keys. You need to have 2 keys to program the PATS system using a high end scan tool. A locksmith can come to your site and replace and rebuild the ignition tumbler and cut and program 2 new keys for you.