Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Transmission fault service now and check engine light just…

Transmission fault service now...

Transmission fault service now and check engine light just came on at the same time

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on. The transmission fault service now information message came on an hour ago when driving to dinner I pulled into a ford service bay asked the guy what it meant he did not now and said I needed to come back tomorrow but my research online said I would I shit

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2014 escape titanium

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sorry voice text messed up. The guy at the service bay said he would not be able to diagnose the issue until tomorrow I ask if it was safe to drive he had me turn the car off and back on and the information message disappeared. After dinner I got back in the car drove 10 minutes down the road and the transmission fault service now message appeared again along with the check engine light coming on with it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am not working on the car myself just trying to drive home and make sure that it is safe but I’m not going to continue to hurt the vehicle

12/27/2017
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Does the vehicle still drive normally? and does the transmission still shift normally and not slip in any of the gears? Does everything still seem alright while driving other than the fault message? thank you.

everything still functioning normal

Alright, what is the approximate mileage on the vehicle now?

64,000

Alright, factory warranty on the vehicle is 5 years 60K unless you have any extended warranty then it is out by mileage from Ford. So in this case. As long as the vehicle isn't driving abnormally or in what is known as a "limp mode" with limiited speed and response, then in my opinion it is safe to drive. I would recommend first stopping by a transmission shop, I recommend Aamco, but the best local transmission shop with good reviews will work. And let them read the code or codes and give you their diagnosis, I have heard of some of these needing torque converters before. But it is rare and I've only heard of a couple of them coming apart and usually it's higher mileage. So there really is no conclusion to be made yet on this until we get the codes read, it could be a sensor or actuator, or a solenoid. There really is a broad number of things that can give you that fault message so I don't want to speculate on what it could be until it's diagnosed. If you have a good relationship with the dealer then you may want to take it there first. But if you do not and the dealer is not close by or you don't feel comfortable with them looking at it, then I would stop at a transmission shop as soon as possible to get it looked at.

We do have an extended warranty so instead of transmission shop should I take it to ford
I feel like the turbo sounds funny

Alright, If you do have an extended warranty then that is the best course of action in my opinion.

They do make some noise, shouldn't be a rattling or knocking type noise, but more of a swooshing or fan type noise. Does it use any oil or smoke any at all?

I know what it normally sounds like and it just sounds different

Alright, the turbo is part of the powertrain coverage so it should be covered if there is any issues there as well.

Great thank you

Absolutely, Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you and best wishes.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician