Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2006 Ford F-250 5.4 l that is running rough.

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you metered out the ignition system?

Yes. Problem does not seem to be from ignition system. All 8 plugs have now been replaced, 1 coil pack has been replaced, boots have been replaced on four others. It is no longer coding for misfire or ignition circuit malfunction. At idle the rpms bump up and down.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trucks symptoms seem to align very much with egr valve problems however this engine does not have egr valve

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have spent time working on it myself and also paid a professional mechanic

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/26/2017
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I accelerate from a dead stop there will be a slight hesitation in the engine. Idling the rpm s bump up n down btwn 500-800 rpms. When speeds get up above 40 mph and you back your foot off the accelerator the engine will shake and run rough with a little bit of a popping noise. Not a full blown backfire noise

are you hearing a rattling sound on top of the engine near the front of the valve covers?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don t think so

check engine light?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No check engine light anymore. Problem started with a misfire code on cylinder 8. Then shifted to po358 ignition rimsry secondary circuit malfunction. All plugs have now been replaced, one bad coil pack has been replaced, 4 coil boots have been replace, a broken evaporator valve has been replaced, and can sensor has been replaced. All coil packs and injectors seem to be working fine now, and truck is not coding for anything. We removed o2 sensors from in front of catalytic converters and it did not seem to change how the truck is running

check the timing. go to #1 tdc on the compression stroke. check the marks.

5.4 tritons jump time alot

hows it going?

Ron, ASE Certified Technician