Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 02 ford f150 5.4l. Pulling 2 codes a nk1 to lean and…

Customer Question
I have 02 ford f150...
I have 02 ford f150 5.4l. Pulling 2 codes b a nk1 to lean and bank 2 to lean that's the only 2 in the truck what do I fix
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/26/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron Z., - Ford Tech - replied 7 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -

Hi Bryan! Good morning! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Bryan, do you have the actual "p-codes" associated with this? Is it P0171 and P0174?

I don't have them but im sure those or the ones u mentioned

Great! Thank-you! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding, Bryan!

The P0171 and P0174 are pointing to both banks running "lean". When these codes are set together, there are a few different things that can cause this issue. First- check the Fuel Filter. Remove the filter and try to blow through it. Any resistance and the Fuel Filter will need to be replaced. If the fuel filter is ok, a fuel pressure reading should be taken to ensure the fuel pump is working at normal capacity. If these check ok, next move onto the air filter housing, duct and filter element. Inspect the duct for any cracks, holes or loose connections. Make sure the filter box is sealed tightly and correctly. Inspect the filter element and make sure it is not excessively dirty, restricting air flow. With the engine running, listen for any "sucking" or "hissing" noises. Inspect as many vacuum lines on the top and rear of the engine as you can see, looking for any cracks, holes or loose/missing connections. Make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust system. If these check ok, an intake air leak should be done to make sure there are no leaks. With the engine running, carefully and sparingly spray some throttle cleaner around the base of the intake. If the engine responds, this is a sign of a leak and the intake gasket will need to be replaced (make sure to visual inspect the manifold itself for any cracks at this time as well). If these all check ok, then the problem will lie in the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Inspect the electrical connector for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, then there IS a "cleaner" for the MAF sensor, however, in experience, it's usually not a 100% fix, and when it does work, it's usually not for long, and MAF replacement is usually necessary. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating my answer does not cost you extra.

I will try these symptoms you have requested but I can't rate this until I've done all this

Ok. Bryan. Not a problem. Keep me in mind. I am not compensated for my time or info without your rating.

How much time does just answer give me to make sure this works ,I can't rate something that hasn't been done

This thread will remain open without a rating for 7 days. Keep in mind, follow-up questions are always Free after you rate... and the thread remains open for as long as you need it to after the rating. This is a common problem on these engines. One of the probable causes above will be the problem. And if not, we work until the problem is fixed. Completely up to you when/if you leave a rating.

HI Bryan! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.

I check and cleaned everything as you suggested this morning I go to crank the tru c k and it turns over but no crank and the theft light is flashing real fast and the odometer has lines instead of #s what the hell did I do to make this happen

Not quite sure what you could have done to cause this. Try removing the NEG cable from the battery for a minimum of 5 minutes.