Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1997 Ford F-Series 7.0L gasoline heavy dump truck. Cranks…

Customer Question
1997 Ford F-Series 7.0L...

1997 Ford F-Series 7.0L gasoline heavy dump truck. Cranks but wont start, but it will start with starting fluid then it stalls. The fuel pump works, there is a spark, I cannot find the data link connector to connect to my computer, I need some help please

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F-Series yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, i checked the inersia switch, first thing that came to my mind, i checked fuel pressure, it seems to be good. i dont have any books on this truck. i dont have injector tester lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

According to the driver, on the highway the truck died, but it started again for another 10 miles and then it died again

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
12/26/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 3 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

thank you, ***** ***** reply.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

if you sprayed starting fluid and it start and died and do you have fuel pressure to the fuel rail than that means the Truck computer is not pulsing the injector ?

that means we have spark and fuel pressure and no Injector pulse

i rather you write it down so i can read again in case i need to

yes ignore phone call request the website prompting it nit me not necessary here

The Data Link Connector (C227) is located behind lower RH side of the instrument panel, before glove compartment.

send me vin #

1FDNF70J0WVA09794

do you know how to test for ground on the injectors ?

are in the u.s ?

Not really. yes in the U.S.

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do have a power probe for testing ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

Did you scan it with factory scanner or equivalent to retrieve faults codes for vehicle modules ?

i would like to fix it myself. yes to all, but i didnt scan for codes, I have my own scanner, I cant find data link connector anywhere

Data link connector location

ok , let me know if you have injector pulse when you are trying to start and we go from there

check all your fuses if you have not done so already

i checked, all fuses are good, relays are good. i want to make sure i can find the data link connector

unless you have an OBDI not OBDII , if it is border line production year, but for 1997 you should have an obdII ,all trucks after 95 should have OBDII connector ,DLC

do you see it or no .

if not go to under hood ,driver side inner fender , is there a plug connector there with grey looking cover on it

no i dont see one

inside or outside under hood ,you do not see one ?

normally they are next to the spout plug, the spout plug is there with grey cover, but i dont see the obd plug

did you look inside the dash, in case somebody took it off prior and stuffed in the dash instead screwing back in place ?

i am going to the shop, i was chatting from my home computer, can you give me your phone and i will call you from the shop in a few minutes

yes , sure, when you get there , just reply back here , for me and i will send you a phone call request ?

in a few mins i will be at the shop thanks

ok

i found the obd connector, it was not in the right place. i will check the codes, if i have any more questions i will contact you. thanks

awesome news

let me know

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat