Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My F-250 7.5l engine will crank over but will not start. I…

Customer Question
My F-250 7.5l engine...

My F-250 7.5l engine will crank over but will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Yes, I have replaced the spak plugs and have changed out the fuel pumps and the floats

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your F250?

1991

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

When replacing the spark plugs I cranked the engine over to flush out any fouled fuel replaced old gas ,replace what fuses were blown. this vehicle has sat for about two or three years.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is about all thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/25/2017
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Can you tell me if there is spark to the plugs when cranking or not? Also, can you tell me if the RED wire at any fuel injector is hot with the key on? thank you.

there is spark to the spark plugs, and no I did not check any of the injectorwires but I can

Alright, that will tell us if the PCM relay is working or not, if there is power at the RED wire on any injector with the key on. You tried spraying any starting fluid in it? I wonder if the fuel pump is stuck or not from sitting?

I have replaced both fuel pumps and filters sending units and fuel filters

Alright, Does it sound like the fuel pump is running when you turn the key on for a few seconds? do you have a fuel pressure gauge by chance? thank you.

Alright, Does it sound like the fuel pump is running when you turn the key on for a few seconds? do you have a fuel pressure gauge by chance? thank you. Check power on the RED wire at the fuel injector and let me know if it is powering up or not. if it is, then we will have to check fuel pressure next.

the pump runs for a few seconds and shuts off no I don't have pressure gauge

Alright, if it's running and you have gas in the tank then it's probably got pressure.

Check for power at the injectors next and let me know. thank you.

I checked the red wire and yes I do have power when the ignition is turned on

Alright, if you have power there, and you have spark, then we need to check for injector pulse next when cranking, that will take a noid light, or you can wire up a 12 volt test light between the two injector pins, light should blink when cranking, if it has spark it should have injector pulse.

Any luck checking injector pulse? if you can get some starting fluid and spray it in the air intake pipe, It would be beneficial to see if you could make it at least run a few seconds that way. to make sure there is no base engine, valve, compression, or timing chain issue. thank you.