Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

98 Ford F250. Driving it and the brakes went out and the…

Customer Question
98 Ford F250. Driving...

98 Ford F250. Driving it and the brakes went out and the truck died. Now it turns over but won't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Battery is good. Brakes were squishy before. My mechanic said it sounded like it needs a new master cylinder. But I don't see how the brakes and starting are related. When it turns over it hisses like an air leak and then dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I've done nothing yet.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
12/25/2017
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Lets focus on the running problem first, did it cut off just going down the road? Have you tried to check to see if you have spark at the spark plugs when cranking with a spark tester? or have you scanned it for codes yet? thanks.

Have not scanned for codes yet. I can do that. It just died driving down the road and my daughter coasted it into a parking lot. Thankfully no one was in danger or hurt in any way.

I completely understand. It sounds like possibly the fuel pump as well, Do you have a fuel pressure gauge by chance ? one thing to try is spraying some starting fluid into the air intake pipe while somebody cranks on it, if you can make it run briefly by spraying it, we know it's a fuel problem.

Code scanner shows two codes. P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire, and P0401 EGR "A" Flow insufficient

Alright, in my opinion either of those two codes wouldn't cause a no start. Can you check fuel pressure or spark or try some starting fluid. I believe that is our next step. Check the inertia switch at the passenger side kick panel just to make sure the red button is pushed in.

That will be my next steps. I'll have to wait until tomorrow since everything is closed today. I'll reply after I test those items. Thank you.

Absolutely, thank you. Let us know what you find there and we can go from there. best wishes.

Any luck checking those things? thought I'd follow up with you.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician