Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1999 explorer fuel pump runs a few seconds but then shuts…

Customer Question
My 1999 explorer fuel...

My 1999 explorer fuel pump runs a few seconds but then shuts off brand new pump. nogas coming out of fuel assemble line.

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

Got half a tank of gas in it, ivm just not getting any fuel even when I crank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am checked fuses relaly spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Ive got an access panel in floor that I made so I can see the sending unit.. line is off of sending unit pump runds a few seconds then shuts off and then I crank it but no gas comes out

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
12/25/2017
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 6 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, is this a new pump?? if it is, what brand??

I assume you have fuel in the tank??

Roy

carter fuel pump and I have half a tank
this way is find with me no need to call

ok,

I hate to say this but you have a bad fuel pump. we have 0 success with carter brand. don't know what it is but they are just a problem. that's why they are the cheapest/

return the pump to the parts store and get either a Delphi or spectra. much better pump and reliable.

from all you stated, the pump is running and no pressure equals a bad pump.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

the old fuel pump does the same thing don't think its fuel pump

is their fuel in the tank??? if the level is below the pick up then you need to add more fuel.

other than that there is no other possibility. your old one may have been bad to start with and the new one is defective

Roy

ok but I will have another one tomorrow and if it does same then I will want my moey back!

I make my opinion based on your input. I am here and not there to check it. you are my eyes and ears. you have asked for advice and I gave it based on you.

you still never answered about the fuel level.

Roy

I typed half a tank
i can see this was a waste of time

you have a great day

Roy