Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Heating/cooling does not work at idle. Coolant was low.

Heating/cooling does not work...

Heating/cooling does not work at idle

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Coolant was low. Added coolant and problem persists.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2009 ford focus

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes added coolant

12/24/2017
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

What exactly does not work? Are you talking about the blower motor?

The blower motor seems fine. I'm getting air from the heater. It's just blowing cold when the car is sitting at idle.

Thank you for that information.

Have you checked the heater hoses?

No I haven't. I didn't see anything leaking, and quite frankly, I don't know exactly where they are.

Ok, got it. Thank you.

Most of the time this condition is caused by air in the cooling system from a slow coolant leak. Coolant leaks out and is replaced by air. Over time, this air pocket gets bigger and bigger. At idle the coolant is not circulated around enough and the air pocket gets trapped in the heater core behind the dash. This is what causes it to blow cool air at idle.

The fix is to diagnose and fix the coolant leak. (replace the leaky component). Sometimes if you just bleed the cooling system correctly while topping it off, that will do the trick.

It sounds like this is getting over my head and needs to be taken to a mechanic. Thank you for your time, sir.

You are most welcome. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Have a great Xmas!!