Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When you try to start the truck, it tutns over fine but if…

Customer Question
When you try to...

When you try to start the truck, it tutns over fine but if you let loose of the key it will still keep turning over

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It does have a wheel lock system and it is in park

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2009 F150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried tgo fix it It cranks over fine but will not start

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
12/24/2017
Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 5 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

The ignition switch is most likely causing this. It is located in the steering column near the bottom section.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

It did this one time before, I waited a little while and it started

Right, but it's not fixed or it wouldn't do it again. This switch can cause intermittent issues like this. It's best to fix it now while it's giving you warnings rather than wait till the car doesn't start. I see too many times when warning signs were given and ignored, then you see the car hooked up to a tow truck.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor