Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2002 f 250 4x4 5.4 l truck. few weeks ago at random…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 f 250 4x4 5.4 l truck. few weeks ago at random the running lights would blow the fuse. could never tell what causes i would replace the fuse it would last for days. I have a plow on the truck and the brown wire from the tail light in the driver front is dead no 12v. so the head light wont swithch over the the plow lights. all the running lights work except the front drivers side and passenger side running lights...the fuse hasnt blown since. I am thinking it is a shorted wire or a fuse that i cant find?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Yes test light no power there..hard to see where the wires go so iwas wondering is there a schematic so i can start maybe at a plug

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Ford?

F250 xlt super duty

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Pulled the drivers head light and running lights no power to the brown wire

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Check all fuses i could see in cab

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
12/24/2017
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

When you have no power on the brown wire up front, if you turn on the headlamp switch and check it does it have power then? Do the rear lights work now and not the front lights? last question, how long does it take for the fuse to blow now? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i havent blown a fuse in a week. all lights rear, dash roof lights are on with head lights switch on... just front lower lights have no power both sides

Alright, let me post up those wiring diagrams and I think that will give some help. Give me a few minutes. Thanks.

Is it fuse 17 (15 amp blue) that is blowing?

or how is it labelled, I would like to see what exactly is on that fuses circuit if possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
15 blue..that hasnt blown probably since losing power to that brown wire in the front
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it runs dash light and running lights

Alright, here are the diagrams.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i dont see any plugs in line that i can check do you?

I'm looking at fuse 17 on the first diagram. I believe that is the one that is blowing, the BROWN wire comes directly out of the headlight switch. so I would run a new wire from the switch directly to the front lights and that should fix it. It's probably shorted somewhere between the lights and the switch itself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
looks like it runs to marker lights too...they are still working?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do you know where that brown wire runs specifically?

Yes, it powers up all the marker lights, which leads me to believe it's open somewhere since you don't have power up front but you do in other places. Do you have an ohm meter? can you check the resistance from your brown wire up front directly to the chasis.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
want me to go from brown wire to ground? with no power correct

that's correct, see if it's shorted directly to ground.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wouldnt the fuse still be blowing
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can a bad bulb on passenger side be causing that
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i only took apart drivers side

Yes, it is possible, You can try just leaving one marker light unplugged, like passenger front, leave it unplugged, see if the fuse blows, if it does, leave drivers front unplugged, and see if the fuse blows.

I'm looking for a diagram of how the harness lays in the truck now.

If you pull that fuse out that blows, you get no running lights front or rear right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
fuse hasnt blown in week....i checked with ohm meter nothing?

Alright, intermittent shorts can be a difficult fix. There isn't anything wrong with it right now or the fuse would be blowing, Sometimes if the harness is hitting metal somewhere hitting a bump can blow the fuse. turn the parking lights on, and at each harness that comes out of the running lights wiggle and bend the harness around on both sides, see if the fuse blows then and which side, wiggle test the harness and if you move it in a certain spot and the fuse blows that is where your problem will be, I would get a 15 amp circuit breaker instead of the fuse and that way you won't have to keep buying fuses to replace them, the circuit breaker resets itself after cooling off. I would recommend printing those diagrams out and that will help you see what all is powered up by that fuse that's blowing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i pulled fuse and yes all front and rear light go out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is there a schmatic so i can follow that brown wire? where does it run?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the roof lights connect is there a junction you can tell me where to look

On the roof lights do they all work even if the fuse is out? you lose all the running lights when the fuse blows correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i lose all lights when fuse blows..problem is its not blowing anymore
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i believe there mus be a short in the brown wire from the connection of the roof lights to the front running lights? just i dont know where the wires run?

Those wires run up along the drivers side A pillar and under the headliner to each individual clearance light, if you pull down the front of the headliner you should see them. Best way I've fixed shorts, is either run a new wire, or leave something unplugged, such as the clearance lights and test it for a while and see if it still blows. sometimes you can visually see a harness that is shorted or rubbing on some bare metal, but that is lucky to find that. it can be shorted internally. so sometimes running a new wire to the component that when left unplugged doesn't blow the fuse is the easiest way to go.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the problem isnt the running lights it all works to there...from there if i read it right the brown wire runs to the front passenger light then to the drivers side.So where should i splice a new brown wire in?

I have looked for a schematic on the harness as it comes from the front firewall area and goes out to the front left and right marker lights and unfortunately I can't find one. Let me opt out in case another expert has that information. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
here is a picture of a plug I found not attached to anything..not sure with the western plow wiring harness connected if this plug suppose to plugged into anything. 2 of the wires are hot 12v one for high beam and one for low beam..not sure what the brown middle wire is for? its has no volts
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

The other tech has opted out.

Would you like me to help?

What remaining questions do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i believe the brown wire is bad or a oku came undone...where does the wire come from.

Follow the steps in these links.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsxoupcd2f27g1a/H1.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q72qfd2lecdflj5/H12.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2ofwd1hcbwpeve/H123.png?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is all great but iam confused where these areas are that you told me to check? is it the main fuse panel in the truck or is there another one. also the last picture you sent of the plug where would that be?

Connector 270H is a plug on the fusebox under the left side the dash.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Very cofussed....still chaising brown wire

What else can I provide to help you? This post will time out on Sunday if not rated prior.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like to understand where brown wire goes from drivers parking light to paasenger to where it goes? And if there is another wire connector in line and or fuse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is right front looking at truck or is is right front in schematic passenger light..i was looking at other diagramns looks like it comes from roof lights then goes to passenger light then to drivers side?

RF is the drivers view from the driver's seat. The power does not go from one light to the next, each comes from one splice at the same place.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
iam trying to follow and find the splices you told me to check...too many wires...to know which ones you are talking about. all parking lights work on the truck except the front left and right ones next to the head lights

Does pin 3 brown wire at the fuse connector 270H have power with the parking lights on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I dont understand what the 3 pin at fuse block is? The fuse has power

It is the same connector I asked about on the 26th. See here https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rijjy1sh5el063/270H.png?dl=0

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician