Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2003 Ranger 4 door. Dome light and door-ajar light remain on…

Customer Question
2003 Ranger 4 door...

2003 Ranger 4 door. Dome light and door-ajar light remain on until battery is fully drained. I changed the switch today on the driver's door, but problem remains. Previous to installing a new switch, I had sprayed lots of WD in the latch in hopes of a fix. No luck. Trying to figure out my next step. Definitely don't want to go to the dealer. thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

What manual? A repair manual? No, I have not.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Are you a bot?

Mechanic's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the mechanic more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I explained fully what I've done so far. Thanks

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
12/24/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 1 month ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, was the switch sticking on the driver side door when your removed it? There's a good chance its the passenger side foor at this point since the drivers side has been replaced. You can always unplug the passenger side switch and runa jumper across it to verify the fault goes away. When the switch is disconnected it will read open and shorted across it will read closed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It seems odd that the passenger door would be the culprit since it was used so infrequently. The switch is very, very hard to access...at least it was for me. Two hours of trial and error. Have you ever replaced one in a 2003 Ranger?

Ive worked for ford for almost two decades, ive replaced plenty of them and while you would think its mainly the drivers door, any door can stick. Its easier to unplug the switch but when you do them a few times it gets easier. Its best to remove the latch assembly to get the switch out if its giving you difficulty gaining access to it. Might be used less but still 14 years old.

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right. It is old. I did remove the latch. Well I took 3 screws out, but it is still tied by linkage to the lock, and the handles, both interior and exterior. I didn't mean to sound harsh in asking you. I asked because on some videos of other Rangers, the switch has a different orientation, and can be accessed much easier. On mine, the switch is sideways and between the door jam and the glass rail and is very hard to access since vision is limited.
Could it be a ground? Something upstream at the GEM
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By the way, I work at the Mustang plant, and my late Dad worked at Ford for 45 years. I'm one mile from World Headquarters, 2 miles from the Rouge facility, and 2 miles from my high school: Edsel Ford High

You would have to look at the gem module using a scan tool to see which door is reading open to verify if its the left or right door thats reading ajar. No worries I wasnt offended.You can pull the window run bracket out of the door by removing the 7/16 bolt and pulling it out to get more room.

Ive never seen a GEM or wiring issue cause a door ajar light its pretty much always a bad switch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you would also think it is likey not a ground issue?

I really doubt it. If that was the case you would have to have a scan tool to test the GEM for codes and such. I gave you the easy option to run a jumper across the switch to see if the warning light goes out, you can unplug the switch without removing it or the latch

Plus if there was a door ajar switch fault, there would be a code in the GEM module. If you had a scan tool it would tell you which door is reading ajar when closed to know which door to test. Do you need more help?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Heading back to the vehicle. Problem not solved, but you have narrowed it down. I can see how it would have been a whole lot easier if I had pulled that 7/16 and moved the glass rail.

Yes, what else do you need to know?

Hello, do you need more help?

Hello, did you get this resolved? DId you get a scan tool to check the gem ?

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans