Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Can we reopen the 3-light problem? Sorry but it was a little…

Customer Question
Hi. Can we reopen the...
Hi. Can we reopen the 3-light problem? Sorry but it was a little frustrating trying to mess with the fuse box with little time between my wife needing the car. And so I am not much further. I am also thinking a squirrel might have chewed a wire but don't see anything for certain. Is there a diagram showing where the wire harness goes through the body? The next step I was going to take is connect a wire from the fuse to the two brake lights and probably not have turn signals working in the back.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
12/23/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Sorry for the delay, I was trying to review the old post.

Was there any other wires in the harness you repaired that actually repaired the wiper and rear defrost?

Also, you don't have brake lights or turn signals here right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No rear turn and fast front blinker. As I recall there were maybe 5 wires in the bunch and the repair was done at the top of the hatch where the wires were pinched constantly when closed.

Ok, when you get some time, can you get the wire colors back there for me?

I don't have a diagram of the harness routing for some reason. Maybe I just can't find it in alldata to figure out where the harness runs to these lights. I will keep looking though!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, from the upper hatch?
Also, there is a large circular trailer hitch connector on the back I checked with my tester hoping for another brake signal but nothing lit up, for some reason it didn't even light up for the tail running lights.

Ok

Is it a factory trailer wiring harness or is it aftermarket? It could be causing the trouble. I got a crude diagram of the harness routing. I don't think you have a mouse issue here. You have one harness running up one side of the truck, then a separate harness for the other side. If you look at this, I believe all the wiring is routed inside the truck. Likely under the sill plates and the carpet.

If you can follow the harness for the trailer connector it might come to a box. Unplug the box and see what happens. It could be causing the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is factory trailer package (though I'm second owner). Interesting, the connector did get dinged and is cracked and ajar. I'll look closer when my wife is back. The wires went off to the passenger side, Ill see if there is a plug on that line.

It would be nice if you can unplug it and it resolves the issue. I have seen some strange thing happen with trailer wiring so fingers crossed. Let me know when you can.

I won't be working Sunday or Monday this week, but normally I try to be on from about 7 am Eastern time until 5-6 pm.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The connector on the trailer lights is in a tight spot (pictured w/gray glove finger on lower left) it doesn't seem to pull out easily. should I pull harder or is there a latch that you can tell me how to open. Also, can I just cut the wires in hopes of finding a live brake light line to route to the lights?

It would be better if you could unplug it. I don't see a link or a picture of the connector. Most of the waterproof connectors have a tab you press and then you pull it out. Its probably going to be a hard pull because of how long it's been connected.

Before cutting any wires, you can try probing the wires to see if you can find a hot one when the brakes are on. I will be off most of the morning and then on all afternoon.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician