Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Px ford ranger loss of power steering at low revs not after…

Customer Question
Px ford ranger loss...

Px ford ranger loss of power steering at low revs not long after driving through a very small river crossing

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

No noises fluid good

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ranger?

2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No don't think so

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
12/23/2017
Ford Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Have you checked the drive belt for any slippage and condition?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Will be back on latter today to view your notes and further assist t you.

Hi peter thank you for your time, the belt is is good condition, making no noises and is tight don't think it's slipping

To tell you the truth this will be hard to diagnose from here but I would suggest to have the fluid pressure tested as it may well be the relief valve sticking in the pump and dumping pressure back into the reservoir. This will also make a noise .

I think so also, although it makes no noise at all. this problem has happened before through the same conditions although it fixed itself the next day.. I will take it into a shop when after the holidays when everything opens up cheers mate

I think that is your best bet, and it would not hurt to do a power steering fluid flush as this will clean out your rack and condition the seals. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician