Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When I turn off overdrive it want stay locked out it will…

Customer Question
Second opinion] When I turn...
Second opinion] When I turn off overdrive it want stay locked out it will lock out for a couple seconds then go back into overdrive!! Transmission only suppose to go back into overdrive when I turn it back on but it's going back into overdrive when it want to
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/23/2017
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 5 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

When you cancel overdrive it also unlocks the torque converter momentarily. Are you sure your not just feeling the converter locking back up? Cancelling overdrive does not cancel torque converter lock up. Torque converter lock up feels just like overdrive engaging.

If that's the problem how can I solve the problem

Its not a problem, that is the way the vehicle is designed to operate. The only way I know that you could control the torque converter control would be to install a switch in the signal wire to the solenoid. Doing this would cause codes in the computer, the overdrive light to flash and the transmission could go into limp mode depending on how long you disabled the torque converter lock up for. The lockup converter is also used to control heat from fluid shear. When the converter is locked there is no fluid shear and heat is greatly reduced. Eliminating lockup could cause transmission overheating.

My transmission didn't do that before my overdrive use to stay off until I turn it back on!! But since I had it rebuilt twice now it don't work like it did before I had it rebuilt twice
I use my truck to haul freight and like I said when I turn overdrive off it stayed off until I turn it back on. But now it want stay locked out explain why!! Same transmission just been rebuilt twice why it's not working now
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 5 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

WOuld you like me to help?

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician