Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

07 f350 6 litre no crank. starter proven by shorting

Customer Question
07 f350 6 litre...

07 f350 6 litre no crank. starter proven by shorting yellow/blue wire to positive and engine cranks

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

One good click I think have power to pcm relay pcm relay operates no fuel pump coming on when key is on either

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ive tested for voltage at the pcm relay power contacts and swapped the pcm relay with another of the same hoping for the fuel pump to come on but it hasnt... now im wondering where the inertia fuel pump switch is

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Ive also replace the instrument cluster... it hasnt been programmed though would this prevent the vehicle from cranking?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/22/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 7 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

To confirm, you are getting power at 2 power points at the relay?

Intertia switch is at right side (passenger) door, bottom pillar, in front of the door hinges.

However, if you are not getting a crank at all, then it won't matter on the fuel inertia switch. It won't affect cranking.

Check the fuses for the fuses can look good, but actually not be good. CLICK HERE for a example of that. Very common to run into.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

CLICK HERE

This is the "other" common problem for the no start on the 6.0L. Anytime I have this complaint, I give these 2 videos to the customers and they tend to find one of them. They are that common to deal with on this vehicle and engine.

These things burn up grounds, badly, then you get the no crank. It is enough for the lights and accessories, but not enough for starter. I have a 2006 F250 King Ranch and I had to replace grounds twice now. So that is why I will always suggest to verify the fuses are actually good, then I will point them to grounds with the video for how to test to rule it out.

I've verified the fuel shut off anyways... so the starter turns over no problem when I short the yellow/blue wire to positive... does that not prove against a poor ground? I have worked on a lot of vehicles and am an industrial electrician by trade for ten years to give a good idea of skill level. I'm going to go through and test each fuse with the meter.. can you provide fuse box diagrams and wiring diagrams for this vehicle? it is a 2007 f350 6 litre diesel. So when the key is on the fuel doesnt run like usual and the instrument cluster shows all warning lights and displays check guages.. also my scan guage 2 doesnt connect to the computer so I'm thinking my PCM is either screwed or I'm not getting power to it... I need diagrams and also want to know if the PCM can just be replaced or is there a more complex procedure to replace the PCM? what is the process for PCM replacement on this vehicle?
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

The other tech opted out. Would you like me to help? If so can you list out what remaining questions you have that you need a response on?

I no longer need assistance. Thanks

OKay