Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am working on a 1999 for escort. The idle is extremely…

Customer Question
I am working on a...
I am working on a 1999 for escort. The idle is extremely high. The code states that the cause is a throttle plate control solenoid. I disconnected the solenoid while the engine was running and the engine died. What would be the procedure to repair this problem
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
12/22/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Do you have the actual code by chance?

no

Ok

I think I would start by checking for vacuum leaks. Many times with a high idle code you will get the code for the IAC, but it's not the IAC's fault. I would check the PCV hose very closely. They are known to split right at the elbow or suck closed and cause idle problems. I do not think the IAC is the problem here. If it was the issue you more then likely would also have problems starting the car when the engine is hot or cold. Just because it shut down doesn't mean it's good or bad. So check for the vacuum leaks first.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

I will get the exact code number and get back to you. I already checked for vacuum leaks including the brake booster. The idle speed is much higher than if was the a/c.

Not the a/c, the IAC, idle air control solenoid.

How fast is the idle?

2500 to 3000. very high

Yeah.

Ok, can you try unplugging the mass air flow sensor?
Also, how did you check for vacuum leaks with the idle being so high?

The code states that it is the throttle position solenoid. As inditated earlier when I dis-connect the trp sensor the engine died. I do not have the vehicle at my shop. I cannot do any other tests until I get the car back here. At that time I will be able to give you an code number.

Ok

I would try cleaning up the throttle body and also the IAC, just to see if it gives you any improvement. If you haven't already of course.

Sorry I was asking a question that you really don't seem to have the answer for. If you would like me to rate my experience now you would not like the rating. If you want to wait until I get the actual code, me not realizing how difficult it would be for you to look up what that code may be, that would be fine by me. What would you like to do?

I will open it back up.

You don't need to rate and hopefully, you will get a different expert that has experienced this.

Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 4 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome.

Different expert here.

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

I can wait until you have the code number.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN