Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Car losing acceleration in first and second gear.The warning…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Car losing acceleration...
Second opinion] Car losing acceleration in first and second gear.The warning sign which looks like an image of a car started to flicker but is now permanent.I have topped the engine oil but it has made no difference. The heater stopped working last week but yesterday came back on just before car performance and the warning light of the image of a car came on
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/22/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Sorry I need to opt out, since I work on USA cars.

Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

another expert here, can you tell me the make , model and year of the car? also what engine size and the engine size and fuel type it is?

and this lights sounds like it could be the check engine light

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.