Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 e450 chasis. Instrument cluster cycles with our without…

Customer Question
2011 e450 chasis. Instrument cluster...
2011 e450 chasis. Instrument cluster cycles with our without the key in the ignition or engine on or off. Truck starts fine. No running lights. No headlights.Battery has been slowly dying over past few months. New battery, alternator, starter, and unplugged all aftermarket electrical.I've gotten it so that the instrument cluster lights stays on when key is off (makes me think the parking sensor in the column is bad) but it still cycles when engine is onVin 1FC4E4KL9BDB24538
Video link
https://youtu.be/ZJzah-ONNB4
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
No brake lights. No four way flashers
12/22/2017
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago
Cesar Jimenez

hi im cesar jimenez and i will be assisting you today. im reviewing your question now...

Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

does it cycle constantly???

Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

what has been done so far??

See above
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

yes saw video.

have you unplugged the actual ignition switch??

replugged in. Overdrive button as well
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

when you unplugged igniton switch it stayed the same??

Correct
Key minder too
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago
I’ll look at a diagram in the morning
Good afternoon! �� What have you found?
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 6 months ago
Check relays in underdash fuse box. One of them is staying energized.. also check under hood box. Once you find which one is staying energized swap it out for new one
Which ones to check? How do you check the relay?
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 6 months ago
Check all of them...
take them out one by one until the cluster stops blinking
The fuse for the PCM remains on pulling approx 3-4 amps. (fuse 75 in the power distribution box) even after the key is removed. How can I troubleshoot the PCM as to why it is pulling that much when the key is out?
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 6 months ago

there has to be a short to power.

Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 6 months ago

do you mean fuse 72???

if so check the PCM power relay which i suspect to be sticking change that relay

Relays switched no difference
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 6 months ago

take of the pcm power relay out and check if symptom continues

Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 6 months ago

which engine??

Taking the relay out cuts power. Same as fuse. Putting back in there is no power draw until key is cycled. Same for fuse
V8 5.4
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 6 months ago

so the power cuts off when fuse/relay is pulled....

to get the instrument panel cycling you have to turn key?????

then it keeps cycling after key off