Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Check engine light came on, rattled when backing up and was…

Customer Question
Check engine light came...

Check engine light came on, rattled when backing up and was able to keep driving. When I'm in a lower gear and low speed or stopped in traffic it sounds loud, shakes and feels like it could stall but doesn't. Acceleration is now a bit studdered as well. My wife has texted me this while she's driving to work as we speak

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2007 Ford escape

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing it myself but would if it's moderately easy. I just had a oil change and they checked all the fluids and change the engine filter air filter and cabin air filter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No but thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/21/2017
Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

4 cylinder or V6 engine?

4 cylinder

For most part knocking is never good and I'd stop driving it until problem is fixed. You can start by making sure oil level is good if so, remove drive belt to see if noise still happens and if so I think timing chain has jumped or timing chain tensioner has failed. Timing chain/tensioner replacement is about a 5 hour job and $300 in parts so around $800 total depending on where you go. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

It had a hard idle one time while in a fast food drive through line. It ran rough on the way home as if the rpms were staying high. Parked it for the day and the next time everything was running fine and smooth.It's been a month or more since that happened and this is the first time it comes back.

A failing tensioner could be intermittent, I think it would be worthwhile checking codes before getting too deep, most parts stores will barrow out a scan tool for free with deposit so you can check codes but I'd still stop driving vehicle. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

It just had 6 quartz of fresh oil and a new filter put in it this afternoon. Valvoline service station did the work. They changed cabin and engine air filters and topped off fluids. Could any of those items being loose cause this? Oil or air filter cover not being tightened properly?
Ok thanks I'll have that checked

I don't think anything that was done related to oil change would cause this problem and wouldn't explain the noise happening a month ago either. Let me know how it turns out or if you run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

Awesome thanks!

No problem, I'm happy to help. Make sure to let me know if you need anything. Thanks

Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.