Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer. Today the check charging system…

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer. Today the check charging system light came on and the power steer isn't working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

It is the check charging system

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are trying to see if it is something minor like a corroded battery cable or if it could be a problem with the alternator

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
12/21/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron Z., - Ford Tech - replied 6 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

When the check charging system warning comes on, more commonly, this a faulty alternator or a weak battery. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running (if you need to jump-start the vehicle, make sure to remove the jumper cables before testing), take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion. If any corrosion is found, some baking soda in water and a toothbrush will clean it nicely. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

..

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.