Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2010 Ford Transit connect. Transmission is starting to slip,

makes a clunk when down...
2010 Ford Transit connect. Transmission is starting to slip, makes a clunk when down shifting.
12/21/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, other than the clunking noise when downshifting, does it go into neutral or slip in a certain gear range? ANy warning lights on? Have you checked for diagnostic trouble codes with a scan tool? Is it full of transmission fluid and does it look black or smell burnt?

The vehicle only has 70k. Trans fluid is full. It just started the slipping thing. It is more pronounced on inclines. Still rolls Down the freeway just fine.

Ok so when you stand on the throttle to force a downshift it flares into neutral and then bangs? No warning lights on? You are at highway speeds basically?

It's my sons vehicle. There were no codes on the OBD reader but he did say there was a wrench light that had come on earlier?

Ok if the wrench light came on, there is a diagnostic trouble code stored, most likely an issue with the electronic throttle body. You code reader probably cant read this code. The most common issue that you are describing if its as I just asked is an issue with the 2-4 servo piston sticking. On hard throttle it sticks and causes a bang and delay as it applies the 2-4 band. The transmission pan, the valve body will need to be remove, the manual shift shaft removed to drop the 2-4 servo and reassemble will repair this issue.

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Is that something we could handle? I'm very mechanical, I just did a cyl head job on my 2004 Volvo V70r with variable valve timing. Is it something Alldata would have the procedure on?

Yes it will be in there, its no too difficult.

Please be sure to leave a positive rating if I was helpful.

Thank you ��

You are welcome. Thank you!

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans