Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

98 mustang gt kept blowing the eec fuse and would not start.

Customer Question
98 mustang gt kept...

98 mustang gt kept blowing the eec fuse and would not start. Mechanic replace all four O2 sensors and got it to run. Ran strong for a few months and BAM! fuse blown! replace fuse and blew immediately at attempt to start. I'm reading mustang forums and some are claiming the 98 owner's manual mislabeled the EEC and fuel pump fuses. Is this the case? I had the fuel pump replaced earlier this year and is still under warranty. Either way, I want to know so I don't chase the wrong wiring problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Like I said, I don't want to waste time looking at either problem without knowing if the owner's manual has mislabeled the fuses.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang GT yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will be attempting to find the problem myself, starting with the fuel pump wiring because when I put in a new fuse and turn the key, the fuel pump does not "hum" like it should at the turn of the key and the fuse blows immediately.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 4 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, the fuses should be marked correctly. Something on the circuit is causing it to blow. It can be the Constant control relay module up in the right front fender. That is the eec power, fuel pump, ac, cooling fan relay in a control box. You need to unplug each item on the circuit its blowing to isolate the fault. You can use a fuse circuit breaker so you dont keep wasting fuses for testing purposes. Once the source of the issue is found you can perform a wiring repair or replace the ccrm or other part that is causing the failure. The DPFE sensor is known to melt and cause issues as well

Do you need more help with this concern?

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans