Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ron My 2001 Ford Taurus SE hasn't been started for over 2…

Customer Question
Hi Ron My 2001 Ford Taurus...
Hi Ron
My 2001 Ford Taurus SE hasn't been started for over 2 years, and now it won't. After replacing the battery, it will turn over fine but acts like it's out if gas but it's not. It will start on starter fluid but shuts down soon as that runs out. Couldn't hear the electric fuel pump kick in so I checked the fuses, and replaced the 20 amp power point fuse and still no fuel pump sound.
Bt the way not long before I parked it, I also replaced the inline fuel filter. Any suggestions what I should try next?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
12/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your vehicle uses an inertia switch.I would check to see if it is resettable as some are.It is located in the cargo area behind the right passenger side wheel well area.If it is resettable there will be a switch or button on it to push to reset it.Sometimes it can trip and causes no fuel pump operation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6enhs1gi5aqdhrr/in-12-20.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uywukyq3c6h61ro/ine-12-20.png?dl=0

Position back the RH truck liner to access it

If this does not work to allow starting let me know here so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

The button on the inertia switch was fully depressed. Please, the Taurus never was jarred enough to engage it. So that wasn't itWhat do you suggest next?
I'd rather not add $26 more to the 33 bucks I've already spent, so let's continue here, if that's okay with you.
Could it be the coolant sensor? I recall that the Taurus had seriously overheated before I parked it.

No problem.The call feature is an automated feature offered to all customers.We can continue here instead.

Was this fuse 116 that you replaced in the under hood fuse panel?

identified as f1.16.
do you think it could be a coolant sensor malfunction? Because I recall that the Taurus was seriously overheating before I parked it.

If you had overheated it before parking it then it is possible the engine computer has disabled the pump if the coolant temp sensor is sending a false signal from being damaged by the over heat.So this is possible that this is the cause here.If you have not had the fault codes checked/read out at all this should be done with a fully compatible scan tool that can plug in and can read all computers in your model to see what codes are set.If any codes are set those codes then need to be diagnosed to help locate and repair this fault here.

Make sure fuse 225 which is a 2 amp fuse in the driver's side under dash fuse panel is o.k.This fuse also works in powering up a relay that sends a signal to the fuel pump relay.There is also a 30 amp fuse ( fuse 102 ) in the under hood fuse block needing checked as well.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete