Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Ford Escape, it has not check engine light on,

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Ford Escape, it has not check engine light on, and it starts up and shifts in to PRND... just fine the problem is it won’t move sometimes it will move just a bit then it does it again

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

What light?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

There is not light

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

The site is going to prompt you for a call. Please know no call is required and if a call is needed, we will agree to it.

It's not the best news. First, check the transmission fluid level and condition. If it's dark or smells burnt, then it's likely one of the clutches inside the transmission has failed. A common issue would also be with the planetary gears inside. If this is the case you will be needing a rebuild or used replacement to solve the issue.

As for the light not being on, that really indicates that electrically the transmission is fine and you are dealing with some type of mechanical failure inside the transmission.

Always start by checking the fluid however.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!