Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Replaced the right side headgasket and now it won't start.

Customer Question
Replaced the right side...

Replaced the right side headgasket and now it won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes, it cranks perfectly. Checked for spark and fuel and it has both

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2007 Mustang 4.6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I'm a service advisor just trying to come up with anything else that can cause this cause were scratching our heads. We've checked every connection, checked the cam and crank sensors, we even did a compression test and everything checks out normal

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thought maybe it was the pats (anti theft system but there is no codes stored in the module)

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

1. When you turn on the key to on position does the theft light come on and then go out?
  2. Does computer have any codes?
  3. What is fuel pressure?
  4. What happened to head? Was exhaust flooded with coolant and may have damaged converter?
We pulled the head because a spark plug broke and a peice fell in - got it out with out a problem. no codes stored in the pcm. I'll have to find out exactly what the fuel pressure was. The tech told me is was good though
KOEO - JUMPS TO 50PSI AND THEN FALLS BACK TO 27-37PSI

Have you checked one of the injectors for injector pulse? If no power to red wires on the injectors can cause no start and may be a connector issue or pinched wires on engine.

we have - currently has 12 volts.
Not sure if this is useful information or normal - the CEL comes on and then goes when cranking but when you stop cranking and key is just in the on position the CEL will flash 7 times and then stay on

You will need to put a noid light in one of the injectors connectors and see if you are getting injector pulse?

We did not use a noid light but we used a Snap-on Vantage Power Graphing Meter and it was good

The flashing check engine light 7 time is normal and just indicates the ECM has not relearned all the parameters I/M yet and will go away when it gets started.

Try to put some starting fluid in through throttle body to see if it tries to start?

We tried that and there was no change

Did it not even try to start with the starting fluid?

No. A few times while cranking it will start to turnover but then stops. Its like 1 out of every 15 times

If you have fuel being injected and good spark. Then you have the timing chain out of time if it will not start now even with starting fluid. Especially if the engine was running before head was removed.

It was running fine

The only other thing i can suggest besides timing out is to disconnect the mass air flow sensor to see if it will start? If it still will not start with sensor disconnected then the timing is out.

Was all the special cam holding tools used to reinstall the timing chain? It does take special holding tools and rocker remover tool to set up timing with the VANOS system.

How can we verify that without tearing it down again
we used all the special tools

Here is complete timing chain install directions. You may have timing chain on the on that head 180 degrees out of time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ozcr7oq837nd79/2007%20ford%20mustang%204.6%20timing%20chain.pdf?dl=0

You may be able to use two compression gauges and put one in cylinder 1 and cylinder 4 and see if both cylinders are on the same stroke at the same time indicating one head is 180 out of time. The two cylinders should not be on the compression stroke at the same time.

Is there any way to verify the timing?
do you mean cyl 1 and cyl5 - 1 and 4 are on the same head

Yes sorry. Meant to say 1 and 5. The front cylinders on both heads.

I'll let you know when I know something more.

Okay. Thanks.

Did you have any other questions for me?

Not yet

Ok. Thanks for update.

Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 6 months ago

Can you please enter a 5 star rating so I can get credit for assisting you and can then close out question. Thanks you and have a Happy Holiday.

If you have no other questions for me then please enter a 5 star rating so I get credit for assisting you and can then close out question for you. Thanks and Happy Holidays.