Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My high series headlamps were replaced with low series on my…

Customer Question
My high series headlamps were...
My high series headlamps were replaced with low series on my '17 explorer. Since there's no signature lighting for parking lamps, the ***** *****ghts only illuminate for turn signals, not parking lamps like on the Base model. What in the BCM can i change so it uses these lights appropriately? All other functions are normal.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
12/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 4 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, since you put in equipment that operates differently, assuming the wiring is the same, the BCM software would need to changed. You would have to program the whole module using a ford dealer scan tool with a VIN number for a vehicle that has these headlamps and all the other options you vehicle has or it will not work properly. This can go either way, good or bad. We used to do this with non GT mustangs and put GT fog lamps in non GT mustangs. But we had to wire the circuit and put in a VIN number for the GT mustang for the BCM to operate the lamps. No parameter to flip on will make it work.

I have looked at As built data from my vehicle vs vehicles which utilize these lamps. The only section of the BCM that would affect the lamps are essentially the same across the board. I have already accessed the BCM with a scan tool and am looking to see if there are known specific address for the lamps. I have been able to get the lamps to operate steady as position lamps in the park setting, however they do not function as turn signals in that case. With the lights in the OFF position they function again as turn signals. I understand your point in flashing a whole different build into the BCM, however the models do not match up. It was an error in ordering that this occurred, but they are already installed. Also, the electrical harness/wiring is the same for the 3.5L GTDI versions from what I am aware.

Then if the same options are available if you want them to work as part of the vehicle that will be your only option, to get a 17 digit VIN number and perform a programmable installation of the BCM as a new module in the other vehicle using the incorrect vin number. This will allow the lamps to operate as it should. It will set some vin mismatch codes in other modules that share data on the CAN network. But there wont be an option using the Ford IDS scan tool to turn the parameter on since its not looking for that option based on your current VIN number.

I have access to the BCM database using a non-ford scan tool where all of the programmable parameters are able to be changed as long as the hardware is present. What I would need to find out is what parameter actually does control that function. I would imagine ford has to know since they did the programming.

The engineers do, but that specific hexidecimal file information is not available to the dealers or the general public as it is proprietary information. Any time we need to change a module we download a vin specific file and install it. No other file alterations can be done through a dealer. an aftermarket outfitter may be of more assistance if they do this type of programming with aftermarket equipment. But it also has to be right or other items may not work

I may try writing all the code in manually from the other vehicle and saving both configuations so I can go back...the issue is these lamps are used by the Base models including the PI an no higher trims. So a total program from a base model will essentially warp most other functions.

Yes, thats the conflict of this type of nature. I dont have the actual code, no dealer does. You would have to download and break down the file and attempt to get it working that way.

I had already started, but there are just over 60 addresses of code...I've attempted to modify the items that were different between the two vehicles, but not all of the items I can know what they do since there is no real information except some aftermarket discovery of functionality.

Yes, since its proprietary information/copyrighted. It will not be out there to find on your own, it will be a tedious process of elimination to do it the way you are looking to but it sounds like you are on the right path the make it work this way. It will be trial and error.

Of course it will void any warranty on the module and if there is some sort of update a dealer may need to do under a recall, it would wipe out your files.

Always flash to stock before an update, and the warranty could only be voided if there were some type of damage that was proven to be directly the result of programming.

Correct, thats the work around you would have to do. If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Did you need more help with this concern?

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans